Fire Fighter 1
An exciting vacancy exists at Upington International Airport for a dedicated Fire Fighter within the SHERQ division.
Key Performance Outputs
The successful candidate, reporting to the Supervisor Fire and Rescue will be responsible for the following:
- Maintain operational readiness including vehicles, equipment and infrastructure to comply with Airport category.
- Operate Fire Fighting and Rescue Equipment and Tools.
- Ensure understanding of vehicles and/or equipment.
- Conduct routine inspections, maintenance and report defects.
- Adhere to statutory regulations, Standard Operating Procedures, operational standards, ACSA policies and procedures and Service Level Agreements to ensure business continuity.
- Activate and respond to all relevant incidents and accidents within area of jurisdiction, scope of training and expertise.
- Conduct emergency standbys to prevent incidents and accidents.
- Analyse, monitor, identify, mitigate and report areas of non-compliance.
- Conduct Runway, Taxi-way and Apron inspections and patrols to reduce potential hazards, notify ATC and take remedial action if necessary.
- Build, support and maintain healthy diverse internal and external relationships.
- Maintain level of physical fitness as per ACSA policies and procedures.
- Respond to all medical emergencies within area of scope and training.
- Record and capture information for billing purposes.
- Participate in Fire and Safety awareness programmes.
Technical Skills and Experience
The following skills and experience or the equivalent of such, will be required:
- The candidate must be in possession of Matric (Grade 12) qualification or equivalent prior learning and experience, based on the job requirements, within the position.
- Valid code B driver’s licence with driving experience is essential.
- Fire Fighter 1 qualification and Hazmat Awareness qualification.
- BAA/ First Aid 3 will be advantageous.
- Appointment will be subject to applicant passing Level “A” physical fitness test.
The ideal candidate consistently achieves results and meets goals and targets as well as being able to clearly explain a point of view and its reasoning. It is essential that the candidate is well organized and methodical and pays attention to detail; is tactful and can communicate in a non-confrontational and polite manner and acts in line with the dominant values of the organization. Recognising, handling and resolving conflict promptly as well as the ability to solve challenging problems are a must.